Follow Sudarshan Sridharan on Quora

Friday, May 4, 2012

Walk Alone


A tide of negativity has consumed me in her furore,
Yet, I survive; but I have grown dark and bitter.
I know this is not what I want to be,
Yet I walk along knowing I am still me.

An urge to change still exists,
Through lows and disasters, I try to persist,
But even the lustrous day can’t deny the night,
And I am tired to fight by myself, pulling myself through each night.

I have felt the sting of my dark side,
I have witnessed the joys of my other side,
Yet I am unable to cross over,
With every failure, my energy has dimmed further.

I understand, it is my struggle,
Eventually, it is my decision to quit or persist,
The absence of a guide, I desist,
I try to take it in my stride, but I am unable to resist,
The forces that pull me down scream at me “You cannot do this alone, you cannot do this alone”.

And time has passed by, years have gone,
But with them, I have grown,
There has never been another way out, I have always known,
Faith, my only hope, has pushed me on,
I am desperate; and I have nothing to lose,
An inner voice urges me to go on,
I shall face what I have been shown,
Pursue this journey, even if I have to walk alone.

11 comments:

Ilana Haley said...

This is avery touching poem. Well written, deep emotionality, sounds as if the poet lost hope to go on struggling. I will read more of his poems.
Lady I

Unknown said...

Thank you..I hope my future works will augment your interest :)

Jonaid said...

Good poem

hewesufa said...

dear reading mind of sudharshan

i have read your po'm ...walk alone...
with and without voice
to find the underlying rhythm

...there is some work to do yet

...creative work also includes the rigorous editing process as regards maybe the harsh s and sh sounds and repetitions...the suffering per se seems a bit watery...
enjoy another try with a smile from
h e w e s u f a
www.printingeria.com
www.printingeriawindropss.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

thank you :)

Unknown said...

ok..i shall try to improve..thanks for your time :)

Radical Writer said...

Yup Its A good poem!

Unknown said...

thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes playing around with word choice and line order/sequence can open up new approaches. I like to try what I call "condensed imagery" to see what happens. It doesn't always work, but here's what happened when I looked at your first stanza:

Negativity’s tide
Consumes me
Despite my desire
I have grown
Dark and bitter
Amidst her furor
I survive
Knowing I am still me

Timoteo said...

It is clear in the poem that the writer is engaged in an emotional conflict, but beyond that it feels too vague. Like a movie where we see the protagonist is troubled, but we never get any back story to learn why. Specifics (as in an actual incident, perhaps, that brought about these emotions) bring a poem alive and into the realm of the everyday world we live in, and make it easier for the average person to relate to. In other words--and this would be my advice to any poet--make it REAL!

I clearly think you have the talent and ability to do this!

Unknown said...

I agree with you that the poem doesn't focus on a specific story/incident which may have made it more direct for a reader to read it..but, the intention behind this poem was to draw on the after effects of any such experience and bring out a general outlook of negativity, how it affects an individual and what wud be the way ahead..
having said that, i have had mixed feedbacks..some, like you, believe it needs to be more specific..i will try to work more on making it somethin one can relate to better..thx fr ur time and feedback :)